Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lace Earrings

I love lace. Madonna obviously had an effect on me while I was growing up, haha. After all, I wouldn't consider anything except lace for my wedding gown last year. Still, I can't believe how trendy it is at the moment. You see it on just about everything and you're about to see it on something new -- earrings!


I am venturing into the wild world of jewelry making and I'm beginning to learn that it's only as difficult as you make it... and these earrings? Pfft. Not difficult at all.

What you'll need:
Lace trim in a pattern that you like
2 jump rings
2 fish hook earrings
Fabric Stiffener: 1 tablespoon Elmer's glue & 1 tablespoon water

Instructions:
1. Cut your desired length of lace (mine is about 2.5 inches long -- I just followed the pattern)
2. Mix your glue and water in a dixie cup until smooth and the consistency of milk
3. Dip lace into the mixture and move it around until it's completely saturated

4. While it's still wet, insert a sewing needle

5. Lay it flat to dry and remove the needle when the lace is completely stiffened

6. Thread an opened jump ring into the hole left by the needle

7. Attach the earring hook to the jump ring and close the jump ring completely

That's it! Now step back and admire your handiwork. Love them? I bet you do. 

They are so feminine and airy. They look incredibly delicate but due to the stiffener, they hold their shape perfectly and won't just twist up in your hair.

They can dress up even the most casual of outfits... I'm wearing a basic white tank and preppy shorts and they look fabulous with the ensemble.

On display with some of my other favorite earrings. Aren't those little blue birds from Target just darling? Or maybe you're admiring my pretty little bees from J.Crew? And of course my Anthro Callias Knock-offs are a show stopper as well!

Like my earring display? It's just burlap and lace wrapped around foam board and inserted in a frame... I feel another tutorial coming!

If you like these earrings, you should check out my Cut Lace Carryall, too! 

Consider following Spool and Spoon via email or Google Friend Connect so you don't miss out on other pretty projects and really simple recipes!

I'm linking to:

21 comments:

  1. So pretty! Thanks for sharing the tip about the fabric stiffner too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I made a pair without it first and they were way too flimsy and floppy.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea! And so pretty too. These would make great gifts, I think I might make some around Christmas time. Pinning for later! I'd love if you stopped by and linked this up {and anything else you'd like to share} at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be visiting the party this Thursday!! Thank you so much for the invite.

      Delete
  3. Oh, these look really cool! I think I have to make those for myself, too. They will look lovely with lots of outfits in my wardrobe Thanks for sharing =)
    - xo Anja @ cocalores.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my new favorite accessory. I think you'll love them.

      Delete
  4. Love this! Here from Flamingo Toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love how you stiffened the lace to hold its shape. I would love for you to share it at Snips & Spice Sunday Slice.

    Malory
    http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/2012/07/sunday-slice-its-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite! I love getting able to share my work with other crafty ladies.

      Delete
  6. I'm a lace-lover, too. I clean out tag sales, lol. This looks so simple, too. Thanks.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! There are so many great pieces of vintage lace out there and I want them all.

      Delete
  7. Oh what alot of projects you can make out of this idea! Thanks for sharing! Patsy from
    HeARTworks and
    papemelroti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess! I love your burlap and lace hanger. The combination of textures is fun:) Also, I've been recently looking for a lace to use for these earrings!:) Great job!
    fancythatnotion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I found mine in a local shop that specializes in sewing notions and trim. I hope you make a pair because they're stunning with just about every outfit.

      Delete
  9. Awesome looking lace earrings.

    I have made a pair myself in the same fashion but added a bead to the end of the lace because it was a small heart.

    Here is a link to the pair I made and they are listed in my shop,

    http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/LauraBelle/4310447/A_Lovely_Pair_of_Heart_Lace_Earrings_with_Blue_Glass_beads_on_Sterling/Jewelry/Earrings/Glass

    I hope I entered the link properly.

    I have almost completed my second pair of lace earrings with a pretty black piece of lace.

    Great tutorial...I never think of putting up a tutorial on my blog but will be in the future.

    Thank you for all your awesome ideas.
    laurabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are adorable. I was actually thinking about making a pair with black lace because they would like great with a dark colored tee in the fall. I've just started dabbling in jewelry making so I haven't gotten far enough to consider using beads but that blue color is so pretty alongside the lace heart. Thanks for linking it up!!

      Delete
  10. hi! :)

    http://pontinintakilari.blogspot.com/2012/06/dantel-kupe-kendin-yap.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your earrings are SO gorgeous. Like I said in my comment on your page, I wish I had lace that looked like that. It's such an interesting pattern. Thank you for sharing :)

      Delete
  11. Jess these are so cute!! I love the lace you chose - it's so pretty and delicate looking! Thanks for linking up - I featured you today!
    http://www.flamingotoes.com/2012/08/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-59/

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...