Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tutorial: 30-Minute Infinity Scarf

It's official. I'm back on a crocheting kick. Despite having known how to crochet for nearly two decades, I still have no idea what the names are for most of the stitches so sharing my more "complex" projects would probably leave you more befuddled than anything. Here's a super simple infinity scarf that even the most beginner of beginners can whip up in less than one episode of your favorite tv show.



1 skein of chunky wool yarn
1 large crochet hook (size H-J)
1. Start by crocheting a chain

2. Once it's at a length that can fit around your head comfortably, connect the ends with ONE stitch

3. Stitch another chain around the same length as the first

4. Connect this end to the loop at the same spot with ONE stitch

5. Continue crocheting chained loops until you've reached an overall density that you're happy with. I ended up with 16 loops but yours can be as thick or thin as you want.

6. You can end it with a single stitch like the rest of the layers or loosely wrap an strand of yarn around the connecting part of the loop to add a some bulk and a change of texture

It's cute and warm as all can be. The secret to success with this is to use the chunkiest/fluffiest wool or wool-blend yarn you can find and stitch it LOOSELY. When you're all done (which I guarantee will happen very very quickly), pop it on and enjoy your handiwork.



You can also create more of a waterfall effect with your infinity scarf by making each subsequent chain just a few stitches longer. I've made one like this before and always get compliments when I wear it but honestly, I like it better when it's all one length.


If you liked this project, I'd be delighted if you'd consider following Spool and Spoon via email or through Google Friend Connect; there are plenty of other simple tutorials and mouth-watering recipes for you to discover! Also, did you know Spool and Spoon has a Facebook? Hop on over so you don't miss any of the fun. 
I'm linking to:

6 comments:

  1. Very cute! I might need to make one of these for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's Kristina from the Kristina J. blog! I love this idea! Would you possibly be interested in letting me feature you and your scarf on my blog? I'm planning a trip to Hawaii at the end of November and am looking for people to guest for me while I'm gone. Since you've got the project done, all you'd need to do is email the actual HTML code to me. I'd love to introduce you to my readers. If you're interested, you can lemme know at 1508kristina(at)comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so beautiful. I've been wanting to make one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Can't wait to make one!...or 10 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made two of these this morning! I have never crocheted in my life so this was a great beginner project. Thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I LOVE that you never crocheted before but were able to make this today. Thanks for sharing that :)

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts or questions. You make my day!

xo Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...